PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching and Sea Survival
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2016, 15:00
9 lives

The person who teaches the underwater egress course which both BPF and I have taken, is himself an underwater egress crash survivor in his youth. This seems to be his inspiration, and rightly so.

Those who have not taken the course, just won't get it until they do. I had an inkling, during the several times I had to swim into inverted floatplanes during their recovery. When I took the coarse, I was a complete convert.

For those who are unconvinced, or lack easy access to an underwater egress course, I suggest the following, just to get the sense of what we're talking about:

On a very dark night, take your buddy to the airport. Climb into your aircraft, but upside down, so your head is on the floor and your legs are up or beside the seat back (it's uncomfortable, but the avionics tech people do it, so you can too). Latch the seatbelt across your waist. Turn out all lights, have your buddy close, latch, and then gently block the door. Your buddy tells you to hold your breath, and five seconds later yells at you "get out!, get out now!", while you find and open the seatbelt, unlatch the door, gently force the door against your buddy's slight effort at resistance, and feel your way out of the plane. Once your entire body is outside the aircraft, you can take a breath. Doing the forgoing will be easier than an undewater egress, as you will not be cold and wet, and water will not be floating you around inside the cabin.

If you fly a low wing RG, you have a chance of ditching, and remaining erect. Otherwise, if ditching is a risk for you, so is being upside down in a plane underwater, you'd better have a plan for yourself, and your passengers....