PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew ignored TCAS RA
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2016, 18:37
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this matter can be now put to bed, but.....anecdotes are just fun, sometimes. I was subject to the JFK guys 'pushing tin'. Approaching finals, No.5-ish, at 90 degrees and 210kts. I was asked to go to 230kts to slot in and establish on LOC. ATC never stopped talking. I was then given 'clearance to land'. (don't go there; it's been discussed at length). Meanwhile I can hear the guy behind me being asked to slow to 180kts - I assume to stretch it out behind me, a heavy. Meanwhile I'm still steaming in at 230kts and visual with all a/c ahead of me & the runway. I'm trying to get a word in & request to slow down to get flaps etc. out for landing. No chance. Johnny Carson on ATC is in full flow. I now get a TA on the a/c in front. He's slowing down. Soon that is going to evolve into an RA. Then what? That is going to be a climb, I hope, but I'm still at 12-15nm on the glide. I'm watching the range decrease, and, just before I start to get real twitchy, ATC give me 90 degrees right, 180 left, 90 right and I'm still No.5. No doubt there was an 'oops' moment in the radar pit. However, I always wonder what would have been the outcome if TA had become RA. There was no chance of collision; it was a closing speed thing and all I had to do was slow down; I had penetrated the bubble on the guy in front; except I was under ATC command. If I'd slowed down to maintain separation at the limit of the bubble it would have domino'd down finals behind me. So what, but under ATC we are 'trained' to follow orders.
It all worked out, but an interesting encounter of the 3rd kind.