PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson helicopters added to safety watchlist
Old 13th Nov 2016, 00:32
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read the NTSB report. I'm not an aviator. My interpretation of the report indicates the NTSB could not in the end actually determine why the the rotor failures occurred in most of the accidents, particularly with the aircraft that were operating in normal flight conditions.
Is this correct? Disturbing if so...
On the other hand, since SFAR 73 took effect in the US, there have been very few "unexplainable" events, in the US at any rate. This would seem to imply that with heightened attention on low G and low rotor RPM recognition the vast majority of R22/R44 issues have been resolved.

On the other, other hand, as one of those people who must make a choice between flying Robinson or not flying, I am extremely vigilant with respect to potential onset of moderate or greater turbulence. I.e. I do not buzz along at Vne unless I am confident of conditions, and, when not confident, fly a rather conservative airspeed. Ridge crossings and valley exit/entries in particular. And, right now, in my rather low time condition, without commercial "pressures", I do not choose to fly when winds are in excess of 25KN, even though I am confident in both the ship and myself at wind velocities above that value.

Those mustering guys whip these machines around with great abandon at rather low airspeeds. That doesn't concern me, hooking a skid on a steer's horn notwithstanding . But at or near Vne one must be vigilant and conservative.