PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew ignored TCAS RA
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2016, 20:55
F-16GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
angryrat,

Not all rules and regs are black and white. They leave room for common sense. In western Air forces we learn that "Flexibility is the key to Airpower". Civilian pilots can translate that to "Flexibility is the key to efficiency". Using common sense and being flexible within the confines of the rules is what separates the exceptional pilots from the average ones.

Mikehotel152,

Of course you can't compare flying the F-16 in segregated airspace while GCI controllers try to vector you towards your opponent (total opposite ATC controllers who vector you away), with flying a widebody liner in busy terminal airspace, with all the bells and whistles doing the flying for you while the guy/gal next to you work the radio, FMS etc. for you, and even monitors you to ensure you dont make any mistakes. It must be the most challenging job in the world, especially having to know which protections are lost in alternate law and how the TOGA switch works and interacts with the auto throttle if pressed on the ground....

Irony Off!

As Sidestick_n_Rudder noted, I to would follow the RA in most circumstances and definitely in a situation as the one you describe. But if met with a situation like the one I described earlier, and if in possession of full SA on the only traffic within miles, I would use common sense and be an effective pilot.