PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew ignored TCAS RA
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2016, 15:50
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golf: Is an RA indeed an advisory? I know what its title is, and similar to some manufacturer's confusing labelling of MCT that is not meant to be unlimited continuous, (see a tech log topic) the use of Resolution Advisory as a title, when in fact it is a Command to act, can lead the Oxford dictionary police to cry foul.
Notwithstanding it may be the wrong a/c you can see, you do not know what TCAS has commanded that other a/c to do. By not following your command you might then become the target for the avoidance manoeuvre of the other a/c and then require TCAS to 2nd guess and issue further commands. If you ignored those, things will be going south very fast. The closing speeds are a blink of an eye and the inertia involved could prevent an avoiding manoeuvre, even if visual. Remember, pulling 4g or turning with 4g will most likely put the threat traffic blind to you, and likewise them to you if they rack it around. Equally a -3g bunt would generate some customer complaints & much paperwork.
Question is, in this day and age of the ever growing world of 3 letter abbreviations, TEM is quite the new fashion. 'If there is doubt there is no doubt' was drummed into me from day 1. It still holds true; so why risk it?