PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2016, 12:09
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Page 133 has some good thinking points, and I have thought about them, again...

I agree, she has not overtly assaulted a person in a criminal way, and is not deserving of "hard time", but,

All that happened is that she got undeserved adulation and respect.
Neither of these are finite quantities. Nobody else lost theirs because of her.

The adulation and respect are gone. Job done.
Uh, no. She defrauded otherwise well intentioned (if poor researching) people and organizations. If you peel back the smiles, event tents, and wine glasses from that, perhaps there could be a case for a criminal charge. White collar crime. I believe that falsely wearing military uniform/insignia could actually be a crime (it was successfully prosecuted in Canada in recent memory).

Citizens who know "the rules" are entitled to be outraged, when society's laws are assaulted - they're our laws! Wise ancestors decided in public venues that our society does not want to tolerate that kind of behaviour - they enacted laws against it. Society has a right (we pilots, and those who are/were military people) to object, and to not just blow it off, 'cause enough has been said.

It's not about the stocks in the town square (though a few hundred years ago it might have been), but our laws have reasoned penalties associated with the offense - beginning with "declare that you understand you must not do that, and stop doing it!".

I have not observed as much as a 10% from TCT that she realizes that she did wrong, and wants to make it right.

There is a fair and delicate balance to prevent a lynch mob. TCT has a right to not be lynched, or fearful of it - we are civilized. But, TCT has to realize that a very many entitled people (pilots and military) are very offended by what she has done, repeatedly, and apparently with no shame whatever. Those entitled pilots and military people have a right to expect society's support (or at least tolerance) while they pursue it being make right, and responsibility taken.

As for seeking/receiving money on false pretenses? That's not my area of expertise, but it sure looks fishy to me!