PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which modular school to choose ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2016, 15:23
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by button push ignored
KayPam.
Good question.
That's why I will give my advice.

I think your best bet is option #2. Stay in France. Be at home for the ground school and stay with relatives for the flying. Living expenses are a huge part of this.

Option #1 is also good if you have little money. But that's not you. So it's not a good choice you you, others yes.

There is no point in option #3. If you want to improve your English, just go on vacation to England.

Option #4 is a terrible choice. There is no status in overpaying for something.

Option #5 Why?

If you want your father to help, then have him pay for a type rating.

Good luck, I wish you well.
Regarding the softer skills and my english level : one of the reasons I could not get into the EZY MPL programme with CTC, is that although my english level is sufficient for day to day living, it did not allow me to actively participate in a heated conversation of native speakers. I need a few tenth of seconds after each intervention to prepare my own intervention. The native did not need this small delay and were monopolising the conversation.
The other French guy with me had the same kind of problem even though his level (elsewhere) seemed very good.

I do not need an instructor: I need to speak, write, think, live in english 24/7 for a few months. That's why I would be willing to spend the extra 4-5k for the cost of living (see below my calculation)

Thanks to my current job, I have unlimited access to all FCOMs for all airlines of the entire airbus fleet, as well as some aero data : would you recommend I read them in an exhaustive manner ? (I currently read only the small bits I need)

The total duration of the CPL IR ME MCC JOC should be around 4-5 months so living expenses abroad could be kept down to about 4-5k€ I believe.
Some cheaper options might be available, with certain schools providing on site accomodation at a fair price.
A swedish school for instance is 246 000 SEK (about 24.7k€) for CPL IR ME and housing, an additional MCC/JOC can be found for a low price elsewhere, bringing the total to about 30k.

I have thought about how to become a pilot for years and I have not been sure of many things but the one thing that I considered obvious is that joining a french FTO would be a waste of money.
You seem to disagree : why ?

The advantage of England would be getting a real ICAO lvl 6 (what do you believe english sound like when spoken in France by french controllers and instructors ? :lol: )
People have told me that this swedish school had a higher chance of getting me a job.

Do you really think my chances of finding a job will be the same, regardless of the FTO I go to ?
What about the "placement pool" of the three trending english schools ?