PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 15:52
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The whole subject of TCT and her 'flying career' is interesting considering until three years ago she was unheard of.

I refer once again to the latest debate on wiki .

If during an episode of Mastermind we heard "Name?...Tracey Curtis-Taylor; Occupation?...Aviator", I think it is safe to say the overwhelming majority of viewers would take that to mean the contestant actually flew for a living, and was not a lady of leisure who merely did aviation for a hobby. I think it is pretty self evident most people consider "occupation" to be either one's job (eg teacher), or the significant thing one does instead of a job (eg housewife, retired, unemployed). The total logged flying hours of Curtis-Taylor over 30 years is in the region of 1500. Less than one hour a week!! That is a hobby not an occupation. Listing her occupation as 'aviator' based on either time spent on task or professional status is unjustified, nor do I see a consensus to do so. Her resume insofar as it can be established from the sources that have interviewed her goes something like "bit of a mixed bag; photographer; diamond valuer; waitress; foreign office worker; gemmologist; behind the scenes airshow administrator". Beck daross (talk) 14:19, 2 November 2016 (UTC)
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tracey_Curtis-Taylor