PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American 763 takeoff incident, ORD
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 12:50
SeenItAll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not questioning the checklists, I am just interested is what these list give as to the order of tasks and their expected time to accomplish. What we know from the video is:
  1. Plane was billowing fire and smoke from the RHS when it stopped.
  2. The left overwing slide was blown roughly 20 seconds after the plane stopped.
  3. It was at least 40 seconds after the plane stopped that the left rear slide was blown.
  4. The LHS engine was still operating at that time with at least some significant rotational speed
Is this timeline indicative that: (a) all required checklists were performed immediately; or (b) there was some delay in executing the evac requirements.

As to the issue of not wanting to kill the engine because it supplies electrical power -- given that the plane was in take-off config, would not the APU have been operating? Please note that I am not saying that anything was done wrong. I don't know. I am just interested in understanding whether everything took place as expected in such a situation, or whether delays occurred that may indicate that there were on-board perceptions of the situation that are different from what we can see from the videos.