PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 01:13
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
There is some interesting debate on her wiki entry talk section.

I revised her occupation to gemmologist/public speaker and it has again reverted to pilot. This should not be a matter of debate because both the FAA and GBR licence held by Curtis-Taylor are on the FAA database, and it is not a licence that allows her to earn revenue from her flights. Her occupation also includes 'adventurer', which is debatable in itself, but the key point is that the Africa and Oz trips, undertaken in an FAA registered aircraft, with a private certifcate, cannot legally earn Curtis-Taylor any revenue. It is clear that some of the editors on this article are ignorant of the regulations as they pertain to licence privileges. The FAA have issued an Advisory Circular to clarify things. I will try and find the AC for other editors to reference. But it boils down to this: whatever the occupation of a private pilot is, it CANNOT be 'pilot'. Most pilots are fully aware of this simple and uncontroversial fact. I explained at some length the reasons for my proposed revision to her 'Occupation' before I made it. Whether or not Curtis-Taylor is using these flights as her de facto source of income, one thing is crystal clear - it is not legal to do so. Therefore her occupation cannot leaglly be 'pilot' nor, based on these flights, can it legally be 'adventurer'. Beck daross (talk) 15:02, 29 October 2016 (UTC)
Satco posted this..

One thing that still niggles at my curiosity are the career claims. I said in an earlier post that the dates don't stack up. How long would you need to be at the Foreign Office to call it a career? How long would you have to work at De Beers to qualify as a career diamond-valuing gemologist? ...
I cannot comment on DeBeers but she openly admits to not having a degree so any Foreign Office employment must have been at a very junior clerical level. She appears to bolster any sort of minor experience to quote in her 'career' section on wiki. Hence on her trip in an AN2 to Cape Town she is described as crew despite holding no Russian pilots licence.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 2nd Nov 2016 at 01:36.