PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American 763 takeoff incident, ORD
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2016, 00:05
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
There have been a number of issues with burst turbine discs on the CF6, but I don't recall the -80C2 variant being affected. The big problem has been with the CF6-50, with a few other well known events on the CF6-80A. Two -80A disc failures occurred during ground runs - one ground run failure resulted in the 767 burning to the ground (USAir IIRC).
But as noted, I don't recall any such issues with the CF6-80C2 (which was a major redesign of the -80A, not a whole lot in common)
That was an American Airlines 767 at LAX. From what I know, there have been 4 HPT disk failures for the CF-6 until now. The turbine had about 50,000 hours on wing and was around 2/3 of the way into it's lifetime cycle limits. The other -80A threw its turbine disc on the ground during maintenance run ups in Philadelphia. That was a UAL bird and also sustained substantial damage. The third aircraft was Air New Zealand, headed from Brisbane to NZ. That failure occurred in flight at 11,000 feet and contacted the wing leading edge. They were very lucky. Fourth aircraft? Unknown at the top of my head.