PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 777 Freighter-Dedicated Crew
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2016, 00:06
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect the advent of trips significantly longer than what has previously been seen on the freighter, may give cause for concern, since this is perhaps not what some may have anticipated. This new UIO/BQN trip will be woeful for anyone with dependants in Dubai.

On the other hand the freighter could be a godsend for those with no ties to Dubai, since the fixed days off along with the often longer downtime in between flights downroute, will quite probably be far more appealing and less tiresome than the regular passenger rosters. I suspect some on the new dedicated freighter fleet who have family elsewhere may jettison themselves from Dubai and use hotels for the nights they are in Dubai, as it will still work out cheaper and will allow them to use the excess cash towards their homes elsewhere.

Horses for courses as they say but this will certainly be appetising to a niche number of 777 colleagues and the FLA in its proposed form, may help as well. A friend of mine put his name down and he said he had thought twice about doing so but he is very happy with his November roster. He said he has just as many days off in DXB including the block of five and he has significantly less time sat in an operating seat.