PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2016, 09:53
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The wiki entry now lists this.
In 2016, the Honourable Company of Air Pilots awarded Curtis-Taylor its Masters Medal for her work in "raising awareness of science and technology in general, and aviation in particular, amongst young women across the world".[27][28]
No mention of "co-pilot Ewald Gritsch.

I the wiki listing is up for discussion on possible deletion. Given her flights were not notable
nor is her career is there justification for retaining it?

It appears the mysterious MurialMary created the page.

This from the discussion on deletion.
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ion_News_Media
I created this article because Curtis-Taylor was in the news (in reliable sources) over a period of time and her story was interesting to me. I wanted to read an article about her, but as there wasn't one, I started one. According to the GNG this is exactly the type of subject WP biography articles represent - people in the news, in independent and reliable sources, over a period of time. I can't see any valid reason to, as Hillbilly requests, "ignore the GNG" because she has been embroiled in controversy. As Veritasaviator points out, the controversy is quite complex with allegations and evidence on both sides, and it's likely she will be in the news for a while because of it - which again means that she as a subject meets the GNG. MurielMary (talk) 07:04, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

MurielMary Well, it's certainly become an interesting subject! Leaning towards your argument, with the HCAP award now stating she did have a co-pilot on board (the opposite of both Curtis-Taylor and Gritsch's recent statements) would you consider the controversy is beginning to overtake the activity and maybe that should be part of the introduction to the page ? Veritasaviator (talk) 07:27, 27 October 2016 (UTC)
Dear Veritasaviator, let's move questions regarding the article's emphasis to its talk page. This AfD page is intended to discuss whether the article should remain in WP or be deleted. Regards Guffydrawers (talk) 07:45, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

Delete With the HCAP award statement proving Curtis Taylor did not make these flights either solo or sole, I agree with Hillybilly & Veritasaviator suggestions, that there is no real achievement by Curtis-Taylor shown given she had a co-pilot, backup aircraft, satellite communication links, navigation equipment and a logistic company behind her. Dozens of people fly similar routes in light aircraft, microlights and paragliders every year without such support. http://www.trike-expeditions.com/Cap...er_aubert.html 5.133.8.125 (talk) 08:14, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

Please familiarise yourself with the GNG of WP (the General Notability Guidelines for article subjects). Whether Curtis-Taylor's flights were solo or not is irrelevant here. The question is whether she is the subject of ongoing media coverage in independent reliable sources over a period of time. For comparison, someone like Kim Kardashian has arguably achieved nothing in her life but has a very busy, highly read and popular article on WP. Achievement is different to notability. MurielMary (talk) 08:21, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 27th Oct 2016 at 10:03.