PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - forced landing - THE FIELD CHOOSES YOU!
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2016, 17:12
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 300hrWannaB
OK, I don't practice PFLs enough. I'll ask for a grilling in my biennial.

One thing I have found that surprised me when I did have a proper solo PFL session on a breezy day, how the aircraft I fly regularly feels completely different with power off. The windmilling prop certainly adds drag and the sink rates seem high. Would a dead stick with a stopped prop have less drag? A slow milling prop must be like an air brake.

None of this 500 foot go around. My preferred CFI likes to take it to 100ft at a little used and unfamiliar strip. I'd like him to take it to touch down. That was where the heart was pumping. With pre-crash checks at tree level.
Logically I have always thought on a VP prop to go to full course pitch not full fine as per normal and open the throttle wide open. This reduces prop drag, closest to feathered and the cylinders bounce on gas pressure, rather pulling a vacuum against the closed butterfly valve and turns with less drag. Can be proved by turning an engine over on the starter with throttle wide open, turns faster once over the first compression.