PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 10:58
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 415 Likes on 218 Posts
People seem to ignore the fact that many women don't actually WANT a career in aviation. Their own choice, not because the industry doesn't want them or tries to exclude them. My own daughter is amongst those who might well soon apply to join the RAF, but not as aircrew. Her choice, I've hidden my own slight disappointment about the latter.

When TCT was in the age bracket to join the RAF, she wouldn't have been allowed to join as a student pilot. But that rule was rescinded almost thirty years ago! I taught a number of RAF UAS female cadets to fly, from the late 1980s onwards. One of them became the Captain of the RAF's first all female fast jet crew. Another got as far as first solo (with a lot of effort from myself) but decided she didn't wish to go further. Her choice, I tried my best to encourage her to continue with the syllabus.

Perhaps TCT has some sort of chip on her shoulder about her rejection by the RAF.

BUT TAKE THAT RAF FLYING BADGE OFF YOUR FLYING SUIT! You are NOT entitled to wear one, even if Prince Michael of Kent gave it to you. It takes three years of damned hard work to earn one.

There, I've been on PPRuNe since May 1995 and that's the first time I've ever raised my voice in capital letters!