PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 07:54
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Sir Niall,

Sidetracking a bit.

Like a lot of people here, I've worked in aviation all my adult life. I agree that at some points there's a commendable lack of gender bias - I've very seldom, for example, heard of issues on a flight deck. Sadly, TCT has a point that a lot of it does suffer badly from gender imbalance.

Last week I was at the RAeS Greener by Design conference - this is the annual get together where we all review the impact that aviation is having on the environment and how we can improve and mitigate those effects. Something that I'm sure most people would agree is important, attracting people from across our profession.

There were 81 delegates - 12 were women. There were 28 speakers, 1 was a woman. Chatting about this with the (female) administrative staff at the society, they said that they thought that this was about normal for headquarters conferences.

(There were at least a number of young and engaged aviation professionals there, as well as us greybeards.)

Whilst I don't think that TCT has done any significant good towards promoting aviation for women or anybody else - she's just out for what aviation can do for her. She is right that there are problems that need solving. And if, in addition to perhaps flying solo occasionally, she would roll her sleeves up and help address some of these things - she might start to be accepted as worth the amount of oxygen she's consuming by the rest of the aviation community. That of course means the thankless hundreds of hours of unpaid volunteering that many women and men already put into these causes - most of those people you've never heard of because they're not doing it for themselves or the publicity.

G