PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2016, 10:03
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Boeing Press Release

Boeing Aircraft Corporation played a key role conveying to the worlds press that the Spirit of Artemis was on a solo world flight.
Perhaps their PR office in Chicago can explain this?

News Release

Boeing Corporate Offices 100 N. Riverside Chicago, IL 60606 Boeing: The Boeing Company

PIONEERING FEMALE AVIATOR LANDS IN ABU DHABI IN HISTORIC BOEING BI-PLANE

- Boeing sponsors solo open cockpit flight from U.K. to Australia

- 4,000 miles completed of the 13,000-mile journey across 23 countries

Abu Dhabi – Nov. 4, 2015 - Adventurous British female aviator Tracey Curtis- Taylor landed safely today at Al-Bateen airport in Abu Dhabi in her classic 1942 Boeing Stearman Spirit of Artemis. The experienced pilot set off on her intrepid expedition from the U.K. to Australia October 1, aiming to fly 13,000 miles across 23 countries.

Speaking on arrival in Abu Dhabi, Tracey Curtis-Taylor said, "For my whole life, I have been moved by the achievements of pioneers like Amy Johnson. My own flight to Australia is the realisation of a burning desire to fly my beloved Boeing Stearman Spirit of Artemis around the world following in their footsteps.

Artemis. The experienced pilot set off on her intrepid expedition from the U.K. to Australia October 1, aiming to fly 13,000 miles across 23 countries.

Flying in from Saudi Arabia, her arrival in the United Arab Emirates completes 4,000 miles of stick and rudder flying exposed to the elements with basic period instruments. And her plane will be featured as part of the Boeing display at the upcoming Dubai Air Show, which starts on Sunday

Ms Curtis-Taylor is undertaking the flight to celebrate the pioneering days of early aviation in the 1920s and 1930s, and especially the achievements of revolutionary British aviator Amy Johnson. A celebrity of her day, Ms Johnson became the first woman to fly solo from Britain to Australia in 1930 and tragically died in mysterious circumstances during World War II flying for the Air Transport Auxiliary.

Speaking on arrival in Abu Dhabi, Tracey Curtis-Taylor said, "For my whole life, I have been moved by the achievements of pioneers like Amy Johnson. My own flight to Australia is the realisation of a burning desire to fly my beloved Boeing Stearman Spirit of Artemis around the world following in their footsteps.

full press release here http://www.boeing.com/resources/boei...essRelease.pdf
As far as I know there have been no lawyers shut up letters from Boeing. I would imagine Airbus execs were laughing when they saw the centenary PR stunt wrecked on American soil in Arizona.