PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Otter Jump Pilot pay?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2016, 05:42
PineappleFrenzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifteen years ago, my drop zone paid me ten bucks (cash) a load to fly their 182. That ten dollars was split between 4 jumpers (we didn't cheat and take five, like other DZs did). So after a warm and busy summer day I might walk away with $200+ cash in my pocket. Not bad for a day's work at age 23 back then. Best flying I ever did; made some lifelong friends too.

Given you'd be flying a turbine twin (not cheap, big penalty for failure), and factoring in fifteen years' of inflation, I'd say the $500/day advice above is pretty reasonable for a busy DZ.

Some advice: Don't get into the skydiving business to make money. And recognize that your cargo expects more from their pilot than some dude (or dudette) who just wants to build time. If you want to enjoy your time there, and to feel good inside if and when you move on, then make the effort to gel with skydivers and their scene. Do a few jumps yourself. It will humble you. Besides, it's way easier to know what your customers want if you yourself are occasionally one of those customers. You'll learn to appreciate the art of jump flying (and it is truly an art) and gain much satisfaction from your effort.

Of course in my case flying was three careers ago, so perhaps someone with more recent experience could chime in.