PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA pilots of the future...
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2016, 23:20
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not just Wanaka, there is access to traditional types right across NZ. I live in the North Island and I can get access to a Super Cub, a Stearman, Harvards and a Chipmunk all within about an hours drive.
Where are you in the North Island? I miss NZ so much... It was such an incredible journey being out there for 3 months, flying just over 45 hours in various types and terrain!

The low flying zones, the mountain flying, the freedom, and the ease of flying around from most places was such a breath of fresh air!! I flew quite a bit out there, but one trip outlining the freedom was from NZNE to NZKT, nobody on frequency on the way, did a touch and go then went all around the northland before stopping at NZKK (again nobody on any frequency on the way - a lovely deserted "mini-airport" with lounge and checkin facilities. [we called it the lego airport]) for a spot of (very late) lunch before picking up some fuel (chatting to a local instructor) and doing a sunset flight down to NZNE (where I heard 2 commercial operators talking to one another about who was going to beat who back to the airfield arguing who was flying the faster plane). Although I did plan it in advance, there was no need to, I could have changed my plans at any time, didn't faff around controlled airspace requesting transits every 2 minutes... Or skirting around the Heathrow / Gatwick zones, then crossing Farnborough, then requesting MATZ penetration / transit with the military air bases...

I cannot wait to go back to NZ.