PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 12:36
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nw

However my biggest surprise so far as I've deduced from some of the posts is that BA don't do fixed links....
Is there a reason for this or BA is too big for that to work.
One for a shorthauler to answer but as you can see from the previous comment it's certainly a common complaint (i.e. long duty days). I think the standard answer from the head shed is that the SH /LH tie up with transfer passengers and also slots complicates matters, another theory (well mine anyway) is that over the years no-one has actually stripped the schedules back to the bare essentials and seen if fixed links are possible. Stick in the different industrial agreements for the cabin crew and then chuck in the (BALPA approved) duty rig that doesn't penalise the company financially for producing long duty days and you've got a recipe for long days and the situation 4468 describes..

Anson

Wouldn't disagree with a lot of what you wrote, but as I'm sure you are aware a lot of the angst/frustration is that ( as in many companies) the rate of change is increasing and in BA at least as you know we're increasingly seeing unilateral imposition of rule changes....I'm guessing you'll have live with the consequences longer than I will so I wish you luck down the road.

BTW on the subject of grumbling commuters I think many commuters (I'm one) frustration is the way BA decided to interpret some of the EASA rules when writing them into the Ops manual, it was almost as if they had a "thing" against commuters.

That said one solution is part time, if you can get it.

Last edited by wiggy; 9th Oct 2016 at 12:47.