PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 08:01
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4468, there's little doubt shorthaul is working harder than it used to, but your perception of longhaul is wrong - little has changed? Sorry I disagree. You ask how we are working harder and suggest FA effects only a small number on any status, which is not correct. Longhaul has been highly efficient within BA wrt achieving the hours for many years it is true, but it could be achieved in a way that suited each individual's coping mechanisms for fatigue. You can do three trips with two days off inbetween them, or you can do two trips back to back, followed by 4 days off and then the third trip. The latter of those two scenarios is far less fatiguing for most people, and I for one am significantly more fatigued now that EASA prevents it. On the subject of FA, it's effected me directly about four or five times a year since it came in. On the occasions when it has, it's resulted in trip one day off, trip two days off, and because I was already working hard in the rest of the month to make the gap in the first place; an incredibly fatiguing month has been the result. Indirectly, it forces me to work over CAP almost all the time. What do I do with those hours once they are in the bank? If I could discharge them in a later month then you're right, we couldn't be working significantly harder. However, most people are prevented from doing this, because you get FA'd when you try it. So you're left with PBW. Nope, you can't due to closed days. So then what? You ring ops who allow a PBW with immediate pick up again. You're bank is now reduced, and you've just done some forced overtime without actually being FAd. In this way, FA and highly restricted PBW effects everyone even if you never actually been FAd, you've had enforced overtime via the back door. How else has long haul got harder? Well we gave up leave days for shorthaul, five day trips now exist that have the same credit as four day trips used to years ago etc.. No one is suggesting shorthaul is not working harder, but I think it paints an incorrect picture to come on here and suggest to DEPs that longhaul hasn't changed and you'll love it.

I've flown with many long haul DEPs who regret their decision, and they've come from both shorthaul and long haul backgrounds. Back when I was shorthaul, I was ready to quit. I tried longhaul and it suited me far better. However, the changes over the last few years have left me regretting becoming a professional pilot on far more occasions than I'd like. As I highlighted in my previous post though, I don't think this is a 'BA specific' problem. Flying has become incredibly fatiguing almost everywhere. The point is, BA is now pretty much like any of the other main choices out there. It is no longer the pinnacle of a UK pilot's career, and you should think long and hard before giving up your current position. It may well be that it still suits an individual to move, but it's definitely not as black and white as it used to be in days of old.