PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing above Flight Manual max demonstrated crosswind limit
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:19
john_tullamarine

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
Always been a bit of a problem in Oz. Unless things have changed in recent years (and the move across to accepting NAA certifications may be relevant), CASA and its antecedents have tended to view the published crosswind as being a defacto limit. What the case might be at law is not within my field ..

A few points to keep in mind before one pushes one's luck too much -

(a) there may be rudder-limited considerations .. during the flare is not the best time to discover this sort of problem

(b) there may be structural considerations. While there be numerous interesting videos of heavies being landed during OEM FT work with substantial crab still on, that probably is not a good idea in one's average lightie.

(c) the design rules require a minimum crosswind to be covered by the flight test program.

There is no reason why the OEM needs to go above the minimum and, often, the program may just not have found conditions which might, otherwise, have been desirable. For instance, the Rockwell singles had a comparatively low crosswind value. We redid the flight tests in Oz and published a higher (but not all that much higher ..) revised figure which was limiting in the opinions of the TP and FTE (me) on the day.

Have I pushed my luck at times ? .. not saying .. but Miro V (hopefully he is still with us .. albeit at around 90) probably could recall a couple of demolished gable markers at Camden (on separate occasions) due to close contact of the mainwheel kind in the SuperCubs ... I guess that any tug pilot who has operated with SuperCubs can fill in the gaps in my storyline .... then again, it is rumoured that we routinely operated across the flight strip if things became a little too hairy .. all pure imagination, of course ...