PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 26yr old Captain - 19yr old Co-Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 19:04
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is much tunnel vision on this discussion. The questions and considerations cannot be confined to accidents alone.

Some, if not most know or have heard of the hijacking of the AF 40 years ago. The Entebbe affair. At the time the captain of that flight, Michel Bacos was aged 52. How did he cope with the situation. Capt Bacos and his crew of 12 were offered the chance to go, but refused to leave while people were still being held.
I was a captain of Air France and before that I was in the Free French Forces under Charles de Gaulle during the Second World War - it would be impossible for me to leave my passengers, unimaginable, he said.
I told my crew that we must stay until the end, because that was our tradition, so we cannot accept being freed. All my crew agreed without exception, he added.
Perhaps it was this sort of thing Sully had in mind when he wrote "..weighing everything he knows while accounting for what he cannot know."
Under such circumstances, I wonder what sort of authority, let alone the qualities required to exercise the sort of judgement that can only be acquired by nothing but time, be possessed by a 26 year old captain and a school leaver first officer.