PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 05:52
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
She is speaking at the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity Ball in Portsmouth this evening.

This story in todays Portsmouth News should give her audiance something to talk about.
23 September 2016 Claims adventurer Tracey Curtis-Taylor ‘embellished’ solo biplane flight from South Africa to Goodwood
Pilot was awarded an honorary rank of Lieutenant Commander and an honorary degree at the University of Portsmouth for the feat
She has hit back at critics over the claims
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/def...ight-1-7593423

I am deeply disappointed at the comments coming from a particular source making false assertions that my flight expeditions should have been executed as solo flights.
Tracey Curtis-Taylor
When she left Cape Town Boeing were telling a different story to the worlds media.

This was the opening of their press release for Cape Town to Good-wood
CAPE TOWN, South Africa, Nov. 4, 2013 – With support from Boeing [NYSE: BA], pilot Tracey Curtis-Taylor has taken off on a 7,000-mile (11,000-kilometer) solo journey, in a reconditioned Boeing Stearman open-cockpit biplane, to retrace Lady Mary Heath’s historic 1928 flight between South Africa and the United Kingdom.
She claims Boeing got it wrong.

She denies her own trip was ever planned as lone voyage – despite an official press release by supporters Boeing at the time, which described it as a ‘solo journey’. In a statement, she claimed there had been an ‘initial hope’ of a solo flight. But this was dropped early on as the expedition grew in scale.
So what does this picture taken in Seattle earlier this year possibly mean Tracey?

She never corrected this Daily Telegraph headline.
Tracey Curtis-Taylor: from Cape Town to Cairo in a Forties biplane
On New Year’s Eve, aviator Tracey Curtis-Taylor landed after an epic 9,000-mile solo journey, inspired by the glamorous adventurer Mary Heath’s pioneering flight in 1928
TCT and her team continued the solo aviatrix stuff for the UK to Sydney trip.

PIONEERING FEMALE AVIATOR LANDS IN ABU DHABI IN HISTORIC BOEING BI-PLANE
- Boeing sponsors solo open cockpit flight from U.K. to Australia
- 4,000 miles completed of the 13,000-mile journey across 23 countries http://www.boeing.com/resources/boei...essRelease.pdf
Those misleading press releases resulted in serious newspapers such as the Guardian writing this.
British aviator has touched down in Sydney, completing her 21,000km solo flight from England in a vintage open cockpit biplane.

“I need a drink. And I need a hairdresser,” Tracey Curtis-Taylor said as she climbed out of her 1942 Boeing Stearman, Spirit of Artemis, to cheers and applause at Sydney airport on Saturday.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...intage-biplane

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 23rd Sep 2016 at 06:41.