PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 17:16
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloggs: This prang, I suspect, will be something that requires far more skill than a simple push n pull.

Of course: we are in violent agreement.

Maybe I expressed myself badly. My intention was to suggest a discussion about whether the basic foundation of a GA should be the same, i.e. advance thrust manually (technically necessary) or follow the thrust levers to ensure movement (SOP). 4468 was discussing motor skills and muscle memory, and how it is possible to select the wrong one. I'm opening a discussion to remove that doubt. I know the pitch control is variable; that is piloting and a/c control; it is not thrust control. The root fault here seems to be lack of thrust. I'm looking at the root cause of why no thrust and considering simple options so it does't happen again.
Pushing TOGA causes an input into FD. That is pitch guidance. Let's separate pitch guidance & thrust application. On a B737NG, single channel ILS with AT, pushing TOGA disconnects AP but not AT; so PF needs to control pitch. However, all my previous airlines had PF SOP as following through on TL's. Does EK or Boeing have a follow through SOP, or is the SOP press & forget?
My question was regarding thrust, not a/c speed or pitch control: if every GA needed manual thrust, or follow through, would this type of confused accident happen again?