PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC - Today's Telegraph
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 20:06
Low Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REORGANISATION OF ARMY BY JOURNOS

See also letter in Saturday's Telegraph from the Chief of the General Staff, which I copy below:-

" I take strong exception to your article of 31 July "Army chiefs are out to capture the Marines" which stated that I was behind a move to take the Royal Marines under my "control". There is no such move, as the Defence Press Office clearly told your Defence Correspondent. In today's joint operations, Army units may serve under command of RM officers for a particular mission - the reverse is equally true. The recent battle for Basra is a particularly vivid example.

The article goes on with a gloom-laden and unbalanced report about the Apache attack helicopter. Overall, the Apache proved itself highly effective in the recent Iraq war. Our own programme is largely on track and there is no doubt that the Apache system will deliver "radical changes". We are working to update our thinking on the use of Apache in the context of lighter, faster-moving intervention forces. Far from being a "costly mistake", any changes that flow from that work will be an endorsement of the central role Apache has in our vision for future land operations".

Watch his lips he is the Head of the Shed

So that'll be that arguement over then.

Crab - at least have the good grace to admit that your poorly worded reply has caused offence. That should not be too much to ask rather than be mealy mouthed about what you thought you had said. As an aside one of the many reasons that the Army is fielding the Apache is that the Country just cannot afford the one to thirty ratio employed by the RAF in comparison to the Army's one to ten. Regarding the 'soldiers first' banter, I am one of your customers that has been landed at the phone number and had to walk to the grid reference - nuff said.

LB

Last edited by Low Ball; 4th Aug 2003 at 21:12.