PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2016, 07:44
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
However, in the early stages of the flight this concept was intentionally and officially dropped...
That would probably be when the owner realised she couldn't fly and if left alone would barge into helicopters or just run off the runway and cause Cat4 damage.
That's rather an interesting thought.

Given this apparent change of mind about how the flight was to be conducted, it does beg the question as to what caused the decision to be made WHEN it was made and what was the real thought process behind the decision.

I don't really buy the sudden fit of altruism: "to let other members of the team share the experience" argument as surely that would have been built in from the start?

Also, it seems strange that the team member who seems to have done most if not all of the "experience sharing" seems to have been the 20000 hour ATPL qualified pilot who owns the aircraft, and who presumably had no end of experience in it?

As a pure speculation: I don't suppose that the aircraft owner, having seen her flying at the beginning of the trip, decided that he wanted to be in a position to protect his aircraft in case something went wrong?

I'd also be interested to know at what point the sponsors were consulted about this change, given that originally they presumably signed up to fund a genuine solo flight.

A man more sceptical than me might well conclude that Ms Curtis-Taylor's PR adviser, having already shot himself in the foot a couple of times, has pulled the trigger again.......

PS As a separate but related question: can anyone provide a detailed description of the people and resources that comprised the back up team for this solo flight?