PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 overspeed on start due to throttle being fully open
Old 8th Sep 2016, 23:14
stigma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jelico
This is pretty common in both R44 and R22. Have seen it (from the hangar) once in an R44. Damage was fairly minimal, an inspection and I believe a mag overhaul. Did you happen to check if the fan had spun? Thats usually a good indication of how bad an overspeed it is.. I am starting to think that Robinson deliberately avoid an overspeed protection system (like the 300's STAR system) to charge for parts! It seems like a basic addition to a 22/44 and would save a lot of downtime, heartache and money. Lucky I did my first 60 hrs in a 300 and when I tried to overspeed it on start, the STAR system saved the day..
Thanks Jelico and everyone else. The instructor accepted responsibility, and I sure learned a lesson! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has made this bonehead move. Hopefully a day of beating myself up about it will hammer the lesson in; I sure don't need to make any more mistakes like this.
To answer your question, the fan had not spun. Sure seems like a simple overspeed protection system for starting would be a worthwhile addition.