PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2016, 15:02
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad,

Perhaps I can help - although I'm definitely not an expert.

The steering is controlled exactly as MSOCS says. The only thing I'd add is that the F-35C is nimble about the deck because it's designed that way. The twin wheel nose gear allows 'spot turns' as well as very precise positioning of the aircraft. (It is also a key part of the USN specification for attachment to the catapult shuttle, and nose gear behaviour during launch). Precise control is important on any carrier deck, even more so with cat and trap, where the aircraft has to be controlled to within an inch or so to engage with the catapult gear. In addition, some of the deck spotting patterns require very exact positioning.

Some readers may not know that marshalling signals on flight decks are mandatory, not advisory as on land bases. The 'yellow shirts' you see in these clips are highly trained and experienced, and they need to be. They are making a difficult job look easy. Before powered steering nose gear, moving jet aircraft around on flight decks was quite a challenge, especially where space was tight on some of the smaller carriers. The UK came up with some very ingenious 'roller' systems that positioned the aircraft on the catapult.

The F-35B gets away with a (much lighter) single wheel nose gear because the F-35's basic braking systems are very good, and the main gears are widely spaced. As MSOCS so rightly points out, the aircraft can do very compact spot turns if required. The undercarriage layouts of the Sea Harrier (and the GR7s) were, frankly, a bit of a mare on small flight decks, with any spot turns risking loss of an outrigger tyre. F-35 is a real step forward in this respect.

Hope this helps, best regards as ever to the yellow shirts doing the business out on deck,

Engines