PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates DEC
Thread: Emirates DEC
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2016, 20:55
Kapitanleutnant

Tata....

I went thru the DEC program in 2008 and had about 10K hours total and about 3,200 hours as left seat airline.

I can say it was the hardest course I've ever been through. Also, I think I made it harder than I needed by having some preconceived ideas of how the instructors thought of DEC's from my country and if they were looking to somehow bust me.

I worked hard, got through all my sims and flights. I did get an extra training flight as a request by me and it helped clear up the final confusions I'd had.

Do not think for one minute that you're going to "teach these guys how to really do it". They are very seasoned veterans with tons of command time on the 777 as well as instructor experience either with EK or their previous airline. As in any airline, there are always a few that can make your training a bit more miserable than most others... but I didn't find that to be the case for me. I found the instructors to be fair but firm. They will expect a lot from you. You cannot show up at an Emirates training event expecting to be "taught". That''s not how it works there.

It will take a lot of discipline to study what is required. I recall my last training flight.,. My Final Line Check. It seemed to be going ok...with just a few wrong or partial answers to questions that were asked me but by and large I thought what I flew for the two day trip was "safe" above all. As we descended back into Dubai, the TRE said, "Well lets talk about your ride". The first thing he said to me was, "You passed... but just barely".

I remember thinking at that point, I honestly had no more effort to give as I was just "spent" with mental knowledge at that point. If I had not passed, I really don't know if I could have stayed there. I felt I had given it my all.

The TRE is actually a really good guy and I have always enjoyed chatting with him when I saw him while there!! Very smart individual!!

So.... Stay focused on your task at hand. You will not be spoon fed anything.

I never have regretted my time at EK. I was just severely disappointed at how EK management (one person in particular) essentially ruined what was the best Expat flying job in the world. Nowadays.... not so much.

Kap