PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skies above Britain
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2016, 07:51
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
As a proponent of UAVs I was horrified by the "Drone" Muppet. How surprising that you should see an inconvenient helicopter when you've elected to fly that close to RAF Benson (Ewelme is very close to downwind for the main rwy) - so if he's allowed to 400' low level circuit traffic could get pretty adjacent.

Having been to a number of events, including some at the RAeS, this level of muppetry is exactly what the industry is trying to stamp out. Well meaning, but catastrophically under prepared, amateurs trying to make a "quick buck" by strapping cameras to UAVs - at least this guy had tried to get qualified - but the gulf in his expectation of what his qualification would entitle him to do and what it actually did re London was jaw dropping.

PB did come across a little precious, but context is everything and I imagine he was in "race mode" with the juices flowing when the race day interviews were done (and doubtless the organisers like to stoke matters up a bit for PR). Away from the race he was far more measured and showed a strong desire to win - I can't criticise a guy for that.