PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2016, 03:48
Maus92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another DOT&E report out: JPO on it.

Some additional problem areas have been identified. Gun pod door disrupts airflow on F-35A, introducing aiming errors, gun pods on B & C behind in testing;

AIM-9X pylons on the Charlie are creating unanticipated stress on wing structure, may have to redesign;

3F software shuts down only after 9 hours (an improvement, but not acceptable;

3F jets boot up process always requires a reset or power cycle;

More from AvWeek:

"[DOT&E spokesman Maj.] Cabiness detailed a long list of the limitations of aircraft flying in the 3i configuration. The jets can carry only two bombs and two missiles, and currently have no gun capability or standoff weapons as the 25mm cannon and external weapons won’t be introduced until 3F. Further, the F-35As have no target marking capability for close-air support and other missions, require voice communications to verify certain messages, and have poor geolocation capability, relying on off-board sources to locate threats and acquire targets.

Finally, the 3i jets have limited night vision capability, as the $400,000 Generation III helmet is still experiencing issues with light leakage and “green glow” that obscures pilots’ vision during very dark night flights.

DOT&E also pointed to deficiencies in 3i’s sensor fusion, electronic warfare, datalinks and pilot vehicle interfaces “that will impact mission effectiveness and suitability in combat.”"

"Given all the challenges the JPO has left to surmount, funding for the F-35 development effort will likely run out before the end of the program, Cabiness says.

“In light of the remaining challenges [and] the demonstrated rate of progress to date, DOT&E assesses that the program will likely need additional funding to complete SDD,” Cabiness says."

Weapons Tester Cites Further F-35 Challenges | Defense content from Aviation Week