PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine Show - Pilotless Airliners
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 16:43
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
Tourist
Sorry but that's called "moving the goalposts" - some parts of the article may not be strictly relevant to this discussion but very relevant to your quite strongly stated assertion that "there are millions of optical illusions. Computers don't suffer from them"..
The guys in that article are deliberately finding arrangements of pixels that can be misinterpreted by neural nets so as to learn about the learning process

A glance at the pictures they are showing suggests that the title of the article is eye catching but not very accurate.

That is rather different than finding actual images of the real world that cause optical illusions to a computer.

Originally Posted by wiggy
Ultimately I understand where you're coming from, and one day you'll be right, but I do think you're being unrealistically optimistic if you think that day is less than 30-40 years away.
We can disagree on the timescale, but you are labouring under a misapprehension.

Optimism is exactly the opposite of what I have.

I would deeply love for automation in all it's forms to be banned from aviation for eternity.
If that were to happen, I would be guaranteed a job in perpetuity and a massive payrise since I am old school enough to fly without clever computers
I left airline flying to fly a totally archaic aircraft with no computer anywhere, because aircraft like that need me and as such I can still charge a premium.

Despite this, I recognise that computers will be better than me in every way soon, as autopilots already are at handling.

I think it is important to not be deluded that computers are not coming.

Know your enemy.......