PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotax 912 engine thefts and "plane spotters"
Old 21st Aug 2016, 08:45
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotax 912 engine thefts and "plane spotters"

I'm sticking my neck out a long way here and I'm also clutching at straws. I have no problem with plane spotters in general, who are always respectful and friendly when they visit our airfield. Sometimes they have tea and a chat with us.

However there have been a few recent break-ins at different airfields, entailing theft of Rotax 912 engines, some tools and equipment. Thus far nobody has been able to identify the culprits, as far as I know.

My concern is that these criminals could be posing as 'plane spotters in order to get a good look at aircraft which they wish to target on a later occasion. If this is even slightly likely, perhaps we could attempt to deter them in some way.

My initial thought is to insist that anyone wanting to come and see aircraft at our airfield should present photo ID and accept having their picture taken by us before admission to our premises. This might deter potential criminals.

If you think that this is a good idea, please spread it far and wide throughout the light aircraft community. I don't know many other fora and yet we all need to get involved with counteracting this scourge. Please help if you can.