PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EINN emergency ongoing
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 01:38
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is deploying reverse thrust on the engine in 'distress' standard procedure?
I have no idea about Airbii but on the four Boeing types I've flown, yes. On an RTO (ANA 787 above) there's not time to discuss or fathom which engine you may or may not distress further by selecting reverse. Just get the reversers deployed, stop and then sort out the rest. On landing, if you've shut the engine down then, on the types I've flown, the thrust lever(s) won't move to reverse anyway, so you'll only end up with reverse on the good ones. If you haven't shut on down but, for instance, just pulled it back to idle then there will be plenty of time for discussion about the implications of using reverse on that engine versus runway length, contaminated runway (slippery), crosswind etc etc.

I elected to make a fly-past for a gear inspection
I suppose a lot of this is predicated on your aircraft type. If I get an EICAS indication that something is wrong with the gear then I'd run the QRH and that's it. What is going to change by doing a flypast? If the tower tells you your gear is in the same position as the EICAS/gear position indicator suggests then what have you learnt and would you change anything regarding the QRH? I wouldn't. Likewise, if ATC says your gear looks down when the indications in the cockpit are otherwise, would you bet on their observations? I wouldn't. ATC are never going to say your gear IS down, they are only going to tell you it looks like it's down and you can get that info from the gauges. It may have been a good idea years ago without EICAS/ECAM etc and it may have its place with, as an example, a retractable piston with simple gear indications but I agree with your 2 year F/O SFI (irrelevant) that it is not warranted on a modern airliner.

I'm not going to second-guess the runway length discussion and landing on the numbers may well have been sensible and justified. However, as I'm sure you considered; just because it can be used for takeoff it does not mean it necessarily has the PCN for landing.

Last edited by Pontius; 21st Aug 2016 at 02:36. Reason: He's a 2 year F/O, not 3