PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2016, 13:00
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbine D

....It isn't that I am anti-F-35, it is that I am anti-stupid people that do stupid things that history has demonstrated can't be done. I mean really, why did the F-4 Phantom, the F-15, the F-16 and the F-18 come into being? Because of a stupid decision railroaded through by McNamara simply on the basis of poor data to save money that resulted in a boondoggle that hardly worked for anything.....

Huhhh? If this is an anti-F-111 rant, and anti jack of all trades rant, I get that, but I really have to question the mentioning of the F-4, F-15, F-16 and F-18 coming about because of the problems of the F-111 program. The F-14 is the only aircraft I would directly cite as coming into being due to the F-111 failures- namely the failure of the F-111B to meet US Navy program requirements and never being put into production. There I do get that the requirements of a USAF penetrator and a USN fleet defense fighter should never have been kludged into one airframe- it was doomed to failure, so I do agree there. I also agree that doing this for the F-35 was a bridge too far.

The F-4 was developed as a Fleet Defense fighter for the US Navy long before the TFX/F-111 program. It was later adopted by the USAF and a host of other nations as a multi-role fighter, and is arguably the best example of a multi mission "fighter". It did many things well (I did not say it was the "best" at anything).

The F-15 was an air superiority fighter. Period. Not related to the F-111 problems or mission at all. Designed to achieve air superiority and replace other airframes such as the F-4 and others.

The F-16 was a light day fighter of the Boyd era. No relation to the F-111 problems. Part of the ho-low mix with the F-15.

The F-18 was designed as a carrier capable aircraft to replace the A-4 and A-7 in the light attack role, with the benefit of being a fighter as well.

The F-14 was a direct result of the failure of the F-111B to enter US Navy service, but you did not list the Tomcat. The engines, radar and Phoenix missiles were recycled from the F-111B for the F-14.