PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a fine/prison for taking luggage down the slide?
Old 5th Aug 2016, 01:32
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
takes time for the line of passengers in the aisle to start moving. Just like a normal deboarding.

So these folks likely grabbed their bags while they were waiting for their chance to move. No delay caused.
Study the onboard video.
The video started at least 20 seconds after the aircraft came to a stop. I base this on the time it takes to react and turn on a camera phone and in the first few seconds there is a girl standing in the idle with a carryon bag slung across her shoulder.

The girl in white was clearly obstructed by the guy in glasses opening the bin and retrieving his bag.
Single frames show the slide was a jumble of bags and people. With more than one bag on the surface of the slide. The slide was at a shallow angle so passengers had to walk/climb off, made more difficult if you have one hand on a bag or if bags have been dropped. Just like walking on a bouncy castle.

I believe we can do better.
Certainly if there is a tech problem and ample warning for cabin crew.
Slightly tongue in cheek, passengers who agree to evac without baggage get the aisle seats.

If I saw an a accompanied man reaching for the bin I would either man handle them forward or push them back into their seat as they are risking the lives of everyone behind them. Such action would expedite safe egress. It is the folk furtherest from the open door that are at highest risk from being overcome by just a few breaths of smoke. You are talking the difference between life and death in seconds.

If you are seated next to a family where there are more kids than adults then agree to grab a kid. Parents panicking about kids is an issue.
"Look after each other", a suitably warm and reassuring tone for an inflight saftey video.
Come on Richard Branson, be the first

Mickjoebill