PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross country flight plan
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2016, 10:29
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first let us bury the IFR advice. across the nullabor runs the trans continental railway. now normally you can see a railway line from miles away because the ballast rocks under the sleepers are a different colour. across the nullabor the ballast is the same colour as the surrounding countryside.
if you fly from ceduna toward the trans continental railway and the light is from the west at all you simply will not see the railway.
a guy bought an aircraft from my old deceased LAME and killed himself in the simpson desert trying to do just this.

there is no reliable mobile phone coverage between ceduna and norseman. there is a tower at eucla but my phone never received it. now a mobile phone that cant get a tower ramps up the power to the antenna circuitry trying to get reception. this depletes the battery quite rapidly. once you get past ceduna turn your phone off to save the battery.

survival equipment. a lot of stupid nonsense is written about this. you are planning so that you dont crash. you are planning so that you reach each refuelling point.
you can go for weeks without food. you cant last a week without water.
in the back of ersa is a piece on using a big sheet of plastic with a rock in the middle and a tin can to get water. understand how this works. a coke can with the top cut out will hold a large crumpled up sheet of clear plastic and weigh next to nothing.
water in flight is pretty awfullll if it is hot. PET coke bottles full of water and frozen in the fridge then carried wrapped in a towel will give you a supply of refreshing water in flight.
bulky food is something to avoid while flying. I use museli bars. they are a good in flight food and dont take up much space. try them before hand though because some of them taste like recycled cardboard. uncle toby's fruit of the forest and the carmans brand are what I've found to be edible. most of the rest of the survival advice can be ignored.

carry a gps epirb. if you are making a forced landing flip the antenna and activate the epirb while you are in the air. if you stuff up the landing there is at least some trace.

if you do make a forced landing dont panic. light a fire and keep it burning so that there is a plume of smoke. in the bush someone will always treck across and find out why there is a plume of smoke in the distance. if the guy who arrives is a naked aboriginal dont panic. he may just be a sydney lawyer who has gone bush for a while to blow off some stress.
aboriginals speak english and there is some pretty decent guys among them.

carry tiedowns that work. carry a hammer to knock them in. a carpenters hammer is great. they dont weigh much and the claw part will pull out pegs.
three 18 inch long steel pegs through a short length of chain works well. splay them out and they make a very effective ground anchor. tie the tiedown rope to the chain.

if you land on a farmers strip to have a piss and you see the farm ute hairing out to you, dont scarper, stop and talk to them. they are as lonely as hell usually and just want to talk to a new face. nobody will object to you landing on their farm strip to stop for a piss.

you know the road maps that show all the sidings out along the trans continental railway. they are all bull****. the greenies have had most of them obliterated. there is only about 3 that remain.

carry a bundle of fresh AA and AAA batteries.

I still dont think you are mentally prepared for the flight but it is a free world.
ymmv
W8