PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2016, 21:41
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
It is interesting to look at true women aviation pioneers.
Jean Batten did England to Australia in just over two weeks.

However the story did not have a happy ending.
Jean Batten had just beaten the women’s record for a solo flight from England to Australia by almost five days. Her achievement captured the attention of the world’s media and congratulatory telegrams poured in from all quarters, including royalty and even one from British aviator Amy Johnson – the pilot whose record she had just broken.

Jean was on the cusp of becoming one of the most famous women in the world. So how did this young and talented pilot go from being dubbed “the Greta Garbo of the skies” to being buried in a pauper’s grave?
Jean Batten: The lonely life of the ?Garbo of the skies' | Life | Life & Style | Daily Express

Her story has a sad ending and in many respects mirrors that of Sheila Scott whose exploits were funded by food mixer entrepreneur Ken Wood.
The last time I inteviewed Sheila for the BBC back in the 1980's she was suffering from cancer and living in a basement flat in Cambridge St,London.
Her flying exploits were forgotten and the press interest had long dried up.

TCT is on a roll as a five minute media hero, who has built in my opinion, a flying reputation that is little more than a charade.

She certainly can tell a tall tale but there is a lot of space between fact and fiction.

If she deserves an award for anything it is self publicity

I have spent a large portion of my life in broadcasting where there is a saying about those in the public eye.

'When the looks decline the luck expires'.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 24th Jul 2016 at 21:57.