PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 18th Jul 2016, 06:56
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know what conceivable inputs the crew might have received that would make them decide to have everyone sit tight in a burning and generously fuelled airplane.

etudiant - You are not a profesional aviator I'm assuming? It is SOP in a situation such as the one here for the flight crew to contact the emergency services ASAP after landing on the emergency services frequency, which is normally, in ICAO countries, only one click away from 121.5. If the fire chief is on the spot he is in a position to pass invaluable info to the flight crew, particularly where burning fuel may be flowing.
Lots of guesses made here from poor quality photos that fuel did not flow under this aircraft, nothing verified, the fire chief would have been able to to pass an assessment to the Captain. Evacuating passengers into an area where the slides could land in burning fuel, or spilled fuel that may subsequently ignite, is the action that will kill passengers.

It seems pretty clear that the more experienced voices on this site consider it a mistake to not have ordered passenger evacuation.

Not so, the split is about fifty/fifty of experienced voices. Each professional is the master of his own game, pilots don't fight fires and fire chiefs don't fly. A pilot who would evacuate and be damned , choosing to contradict qualified professional advice from outside when it is available, is, I believe, the real safety hazard here.

Last edited by parabellum; 18th Jul 2016 at 08:51.