PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 11th Jul 2016, 13:03
Lonewolf_50

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts
SASless: I understood riff, but it helps that I was an engineering major so the terms aren't foreign to me.

The cost differential riff mentioned is a non-trivial issue when considering whether to upgrade / replace. Any manufacturer for a civil or military contract has to account for lead times for exotic / specialty alloys, and the cost versus customer requirements (and regulatory requirements) -- a balancing act that goes into any final design or upgrade decision. Part of the reason I asked is due to a different topic related to gear wear resistance (super finishing) that I understand Boeing uses on some gears in the Apache ... but we are going off topic so I'll stop there. (Either of those choices are open to AH as the final evaluation of their gears is put into print).

@Concentric: an interesting line of inquiry in your post, but for most operators, the key metric is that as components wear an indication/warning of wear or impending failure gives them a chance to change a component before failure. I am not sure that a design "to deal with it once the gears come apart" is what the industry wants. The "hey, this one's beginning to wear/lose material" trigger gets the box off the aircraft before these critical parts fail.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 11th Jul 2016 at 13:14.