PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 11th Jul 2016, 03:13
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Riff_Raff, There are a lot of Pilots sitting at their computer....looking at the screen....and wondering what language you are speaking! If you and those like me are going to have commonality of definition....you shall have to go back to four letter words and arm waving!
I got lost back in the time I was expected to know all the interworking of a cereal bowl compass in order to use an RMI for figuring out what direction I was going.
Sorry, didn't intend to confuse you or anyone else. Just tried to provide an answer to Lonewolf_50's specific question.

If it's any help, the simple version of what I posted is as follows. There is an advanced type of alloy gear steel called C64 that has recently been developed which can safely operate at temperatures ~500degF higher than steel gear alloys used in current gearboxes. Using this advanced steel alloy to upgrade certain gears of existing main rotor transmissions could likely provide a significant increase in loss of lube performance, at a reasonable cost.

Does that explanation make sense to you?