PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ discriminating against older pilots!
Old 10th Jul 2016, 21:53
Offcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pakehaboy, I agree entirely. And anyone struggling does get additional training. I can't say how much as I'm not in the training department so it is all second hand, but it is significant. Some even pass the type rating but are failing line training. Which points to issues more around decision making and airmanship than technical manipulation. The last I know of had a full command line training programme, a failed check, extra line training, a right seat conversion, six months in right seat, much with trainers in the left, another left seat conversion, and then another failed check. Sounds pretty generous to me. Do you want that guy flying your kids around?

Everyone deserves a fair crack, and if some don't think they have had it, fair enough. You have the right to fight your corner. BUT, be honest about the training you received and the reasons for your failure. If a guy off a turboprop can get through, while having to learn all company procedures, SOPs etc on top of the type rating, surely a vastly experienced company veteran should be able to manage.

Training for the Airbus is running at absolute capacity and Captains are desperately needed on line. The last thing the company would want is to tie up the sim for weeks on end, and still not get a type rated pilot at the end of the process.