PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 22:08
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tram usage

The poor take-up of the airport Metrolink doesn't surprise me. I am a daily commuter to the airport on the heavy rail line which offers fast and frequent service from the city centre. I see the trams coming and going from the adjacent platforms at the airport and there is at best a handful of passengers on each. No wonder:

The journey by tram to the city centre is tortuous and slow. It will never be popular for this trip even when the 2CC work is complete because the journey is so slow and has no luggage space. To be fair it was really intended to link up more local points rather than compete with the train. But even for Wythenshawe residents the journey is convoluted and in competition with the No.43 bus which is on a 10-minute frequency much of the day and has more convenient pick up points for many.

I would use the Metrolink more often (I live close to the East Didsbury line) if I was allowed to use it with my £1100 p.a. System One Countycard, which gives me all buses and trains in Gt. Manchester but not Metrolink!!!

The Airport contributed £50M towards the airport Metrolink line, a substantial sum. There will be an extension to the expanded Terminal Two and (if it gets built) HS2. Airport City may generate more traffic but with arguably better value buses locally, and much faster heavy rail options to the city, I'm not sure how good a future it has.