PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 16:07
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
In reply to Tractorpuller
No, they actually ran into some problems regarding planing and permissions aswell. Maybe the whole story will surface sometime.
Sam Rutherford was in charge of logistics so he has the answer.

Whatever there was no requirement for an airline pilot to sit in the front seat. My understanding is her problem throughout these trips is her inability to navigate cross country outside of her comfort zone. Hence Ewald being in the front seat. That of course explains why he was on board on arrival in Sydney.

It will be interesting to see if the rebuilt Spirit of Artemis makes an appearance on the Boeing stand at Farnborough.

Or will the sponsors now feel that there in no future in her exploits?

I cannot see any promotional benefits for Boeing or Artemis in shipping the Stearman back to Arizona and resuming the trans America trip. Given she never flys on these trips without Ewald will he want to be the focus of attention?

The HCAP's have been quite and they still face having to give her the Masters Medal at a formal event later this year. This will be another opportunity for the press to have a go.

There is plenty of history on Tracey that the lower tabloids can have a field day with. The HCAP's defence has been she is promoting women in aviation but the Daily Mail expose last Saturday does the reverse.

There is a wonderful quote from TCT to a member of the support crew on the Africa trip. The person concerned was busy organising certain issues when she confronted him and said "What could be more important than getting my bags to the hotel?

If you live near Hull you might want to go along and ask a few questions here in a few weeks time.
http://amyjohnsonfestival.co.uk/wp-c...F-Whats-On.pdf

The BAE Systems Brough Centenary Lecture
Tracey Curtis-Taylor

My spirit found outlet in the air - Amy Johnson
Thursday 21 July
6.00 - 7.00pm
Free admission but advance booking is recommended
Tracey will tell the story of her expeditions in her 1942 bi-plane Spirit of Artemis over the past 4 years, flying Cape Town to Goodwood, Britain to Australia, and then completing the global tour with the flight across the USA.

Interwoven within the incredible adventure of these flights which have taken her through some of the most beautiful and challenging parts of the planet, is the history of pioneering aviation from the Golden Age of aviation during the inter-war period.

Tracey has been inspired by aviators such as Amy Johnson and Lady Mary Heath and her flights have given her the platform to meet thousands of women around the world, allowing her the opportunity to share her message of freedom, ambition and inspiration. She will be speaking to slides with stunning photos and breath-taking video footage from her worldwide flight.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 4th Jul 2016 at 17:10. Reason: typo