PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Sully" The Movie.
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2016, 10:01
DaveReidUK

Received 199 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by JEM60
He had the whole of the Hudson to land on. In my opinion, the much better film would have been about the Air Transat A.330 that had a thin piece of concrete to land on, and made it, from a very long way away, after running out of fuel with a major leak.
A movie based on Air Transat 236 would lack the essential "will they, won't they?" tension - the aircraft was only 65nm from Lajes at FL345 when the second engine flamed out, so there wasn't really much doubt that they would make it (in fact the crew had to perform an orbit to lose enough height to make their final approach). Even the Gimli Glider incident, where it was far from certain that they would reach any airport, resulted in a pretty naff movie.

Compare that with the unknowns around US1549 - would they find an open space anywhere to land, would the A320 break up on impact, would it stay afloat long enough for the passengers to get off? While I'm sure the movie will take some liberties with events, I think we should wait to see it before making up our minds.