PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 28th Jun 2016, 22:27
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any information out there about the nature of the road accident? Was the transmission in a container? Was there external damage to the case components? Was the truck destroyed? I would think it would have to be a significant accident to initiate a fracture of internal gearbox components. Is it correct that the inspection and repair by AH prior to the installation in January was the inspection required due to the road accident? Why was the transmission being transported at that time (with continued time on it)? How extensive were their repairs and more importantly, what did they inspect (how deep did that go)? If that is the case then 260 hours elapsed between the road accident and the failure. I have no doubt that anything can happen during shipping. I've seen fork lift holes in blade boxes, engine cans that have rolled over and been severely dented and seen the gyro we were waiting for AOG fall off the top of a stack of boxes the delivery person was carrying. His comment was "If you think that was bad, you should come to our warehouse sometime". If it turns out that there is any correlation, it makes a viable argument to what we sometimes see as OEMs being overly cautious when they say "you have to overhaul that component as if it were a sudden stoppage/hard landing incident" even when we know it wasn't that bad. I think any OEM is out on a limb if they are willing to comply with the minimum they think is necessary for an incident scenario that may be unusual or uncommon. Of course, I have no idea if that was the case. Just another part of this nasty puzzle.