PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 17:57
birmingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AW009 I think your point is entirely valid. EADS is suffering badly from these issues and the problem has reached the point where the engineering needed to resolve them may no longer be commercially viable. The 400 has reduction gearbox issues and the C130J doesn't. Both the S92 and EC255 have had reduction gearbox issues but the EC225's appear overwhelming. Unfortunately even if this accident enquiry decides that the suspension bar failed initiating the tragedy, the discovery of more fatigue issues with the planetary is a massive blow. Also if we are making automotive comparisons the;"it's too complicated - you laymen don't understand it's just the way it is, s*** happens" response is reminiscent of British Leyland in the 1970s (and we know what happened to them).BTW I am a fan of many EADS products especially the A320/330s that I have had a lot of time in, but we need to address reality here; Look who makes the Mini Cooper now!

So while allegedly off subject - anyone else worry that geared-fan engines for the A3** and B737-* NEOs may bring unwanted complexity to what are currently astonishingly safe and reliable aircraft, after all, these puma gearbox problems also appeared relatively late in the life of a successful design?

Last edited by birmingham; 22nd Jun 2016 at 18:30.