PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying skills on limited panel in IMC
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2016, 07:14
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by sheppety
So the pilot in the synthetic trainer did not have the basic instrument flying skill to use a turn coordinator and crashed when his AH failed. The OP described two crashes that killed all aboard because they too lacked the skill to fly on turn coordinators. Isn't there a message there somewhere? And you blame the instructor for failing the AH rather than blame the pilot in the synthetic for not practicing his limited panel flying.
I do indeed.

Knowing the student did not have an aircraft with a traditional 6-pack, he decided to proceed with what was essentially a box-ticking exercise, rather than impart any meaningful education to the student. And in doing so, decided to prove a point to the detriment of the student. Yes, I have an issue with that.

Here is a panel that is virtually identical to mine, albeit with a D-10 instead of a Garmin G5 as the standby. How do you do meaningful partial panel practice in an aircraft so equipped?

Modern aircraft require modern approaches to training, something that seems to be difficult to comprehend for some instructors.