PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus down in Houston
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2016, 07:27
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Obviously, flying the airplane would have stopped this, but the point I'm trying to make, while not Cirrus bashing (as I think they're great) is that with eyes outside, you don't get much in the way of the usual cues when getting slow - hopefully an interesting bit of information for those who haven't flown one.
Thanks sapperkenno, I have never flown a Cirrus and your information certainly increases my awareness of and understanding of its handling characteristics.

Does the Cirrus have any mechanical (tactile/audio/visual) form of slow flight/stall warning?
First things first, the Cirrus does have an electronic aural stall warning system but with noise reduction headsets, it's hard to hear it - at least that is my experience when flying a stall practice manoeuvre or even at landing as regardless of how far I'm pulling back, I do not hear it on landing; by manually applying suction to the opening with power on, I can hear the beep but it's significantly quieter than the noises of a P28A or a C172 stall warning system.

Having said that, a stall in a Cirrus - straight and level - is an event you cannot normally miss because the wing is designed to stall at the inner edge first and the buffeting is extremely pronounced. I've only once - with a CSIP on board - put the Cirrus into a stall whilst simulating a base to final type turn (whilst at an altitude of more than 3000 feet) and it is an eye opener just how fast the plane will attempt to spin - the CSIP knew what was going to happen so he kicked in the rudder to stop the yaw - but the buffeting from slow flight was still there....